Class of 1959

We, the Class of 1959, celebrated our 50th class reunion on April 24 and 25, 2009. This blog is about sharing memories of our class reunions and a long ago life at our Alma Mater's, S.F.X.A. and S.A.H.S. Good memories of days gone by but not forgotten! A gift to my classmates. ~Marian Love Phillips ~







Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tour Of School, Cobb House & Convent

Class of 1960 Banner (click on picture to enlarge)

Beverly Haas Dixon and Tessie Brunini Schweitzer

Ann Freutel Gilman and Agnes Banchetti Howell

Left to right, Danny Hossley, Bobby Gordon, John Hosemann and Helen Melsheimer Gordon.

Doris Hosemann and Charlene Guiney Bullock

Sister Mary Paulinus Oakes R.S.M. talking to classmates.

Books on sale about the Sisters of MercyThe Tapestry of Mercy was written by Sister Mary Paulinus Oakes, R.S.M. and Angels of Mercy by Sister Ignatius Sumner.  

Sister Paulinus sharing the history of St. Francis Xavier School, Cobb House and Sisters of Mercy Convent before our tour.  She told us that the auditorium was used as a scene in the movie "Old Brother Where Art Thou", which was filmed and then released in December 2000. 

Looking towards the convent on the side front porch of Cobb House.

Frank Scholosser standing in front of an antique secretary desk that he claims belonged to his grandmother and was used to sign documents to end the Siege of Vicksburg.

A beautiful antique four poster bed on second floor of Cobb House.

An antique washstand next to bed.

Another antique four poster bed across the hallway.

Classmates standing outside the backside of Cobb House discussing the tour.

Stairs going down towards the tunnels.

Stairs going up towards second floor of high school, Cobb House and convent.

On balcony looking down at walkway towards entrance from Crawford Street.

Making our way to tour the old Sisters of Mercy convent.

The chapel that was used for Mass at the convent. It is now being used by an Episcopal Church.

Looking out towards the gardens and the old janitorial shed from the back window of the chapel.


An upstairs room in convent.


Water fountain in hallway of convent.

Frank Schlosser looking around upstairs in the convent.

The top basketball courtyard has been planted with grass and trees. At the Southern Cultural Heritage Center, formerly, SFXA, the 3rd Annual Classics in the Courtyard, October 15, 22, 29 and November 5, 2010, will be held here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...