Class of 1959

We, the Class of 1959, celebrated our 50th reunion on April 24 and 25, 2009. This blog is about sharing memories of our class reunions and a long-ago life at our Alma Mater, S.F.X.A. and S.A.H.S. Good memories of days gone by but not forgotten! A gift to my classmates. ~Marian Ann Love ~







Saturday, April 05, 2008

SAHS Class of 1959~Joe

~Joseph F. Lindigrin, Jr.~
~Deceased~
Service 2 p.m. Monday
July 7, 2008
Glenwood Chapel
Interment
Green Acres Memorial Park
Visitation
3-6 p.m. Sunday

Joe was born in Vicksburg, MS on June 21, 1941 and passed away unexpectedly Thursday, July 3, 2008, at Medical City Dallas at the age of 67, surrounded by his loving family. He is survived by his wife of 48 years, Geraldine Conn Lindigrin; son, Jeff Lindigrin (wife Andrea) of Rockwall, TX; daughter, Sherry Lindigrin of Vicksburg; mother, Frances Lindigrin; brother, David Lindigrin (wife Elizabeth) of Clinton, MS; and five beloved grandchildren, as well as many nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by father, Joe Lindigrin, Sr.; and grandparents, Lawrence and Mattie Storey and Joseph Anthony and Elizabeth Lindigrin. He graduated from St. Aloysius High in 1959, and then attended Hinds Community College and Mississippi State University. He was employed by L.M. Berry Company, where he won many outstanding sales awards. For 21 years, he owned Jackson Specialty Advertising in Jackson, MS, retiring in 2004. Lifelong Mississippians Joe and Geraldine had recently moved from Madison, MS to Rockwall, TX to be near their son and grandchildren. He always told people the youngest, Mackenzie ("Mack") age 2 1/2, had the longest little arms pulling them to leave their home state of Mississippi. Joe and Geraldine traveled extensively throughout the country and overseas. One of his favorite places was St. Andrews, Scotland where he played the old course twice. Joe never met a stranger. He easily made friends wherever he traveled with his unique personality, charm and wit. His infectious grin and laughter made him a friend to many. He was a great storyteller, and loved to tell them to everyone he met. His love for the Mississippi State Bulldogs was deep and unwavering. He never became discouraged. He was always the first to say, with all his heart, "Just wait 'til next year!"A wonderful man known for his honesty, integrity and character, Joe was widely respected for his business acumen and noted for his athletic abilities and accomplishments in football, basketball, baseball, and golf. He was also an avid outdoorsman who loved hunting and fishing. He most enjoyed spending time with his buddies at Live Oaks Golf Club and The Shores County Club playing golf for an occasional wager. Affectionately known by his many friends as "Bogey" Joe, he was an extremely talented golfer. He was a Mississippi Walker Cup team member for several years, a senior state champion, and held many course records and club championship titles over the years at various clubs around Mississippi. He also shot his age many times and made eight holes-in-one. Joe was a member of Lakeshore Congregational Methodist Church in Jackson, MS. Services will be held Monday, July 7, at 2 p.m. at Glenwood Funeral Home in Vicksburg, MS. Visitation will be Sunday, July 6, 2008, from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. and one hour prior to services on Monday, July 7, 2008. Pallbearers will be Jack Thompson, Gene Pope, Robert Pope, David Willoughby, Rick Mason and Mike Lewis.
Published in the Clarion Ledger on 7/5/2008.
Visit the Guest Book: The Guest Book for Joe Lindigrin will remain online until August 12, 2008. You may sponsor the Guest Book for a longer period or purchase a professionally printed and bound version as a gift or personal keepsake.

August 15, 2010


The last time i saw Joe and Geraldine was in your home in Jackson many years ago.

Joe and i were next door neighbors on Porters Chapel Road in Vicksburg...we had a lot of good times, especially hunting in the woods behind the houses.

I will always remember Joe very fondly...and will see him again.

All the best for the future to you, Geraldine, and the family.

~ RON FOLEY, FOUNTAINVILLE, Pennsylvania
Contact Me August 13, 2010

~ sherry lindigrin, clinton, Mississippi August 20, 2009

Daddy,

It’s been a little over a year now and I still can’t believe you are gone. I miss you so much. I can still see you out on the golf course and hear your voice and words of wisdom. All of your old friends tell me how much they miss you. They say not a day goes by that you are not remembered on the golf course or while playing a game of gin.

You and I were so close in age that we were able to share many things, especially participating in sports together. Even though we were very competitive with each other we were a great team as well. Sometimes we argued and had our share of disagreements, as most fathers and sons do, but for all of the battles we went through we were always able to say “I love you”. I treasure each and every one of those many memories.

You have been a great example of how a man should conduct himself throughout his life. You taught me the values of honesty, integrity and character regardless of the situation, and I am grateful for that.

I was always with you when I was young watching you play baseball, basketball, football and golf. You took me everywhere with you. Some of my fondest memories are all of those times we went fishing. As I got older I laughed to myself that you probably just needed me to weigh down the end of the boat for you!

Now my little one Mack reminds me of us. She loves to go with me to play golf or work in the garden or yard. She misses you so much and she ask’s me all the time “where’s my Papaw?” I tell her you are in Heaven playing golf with Jesus and trying to get a fair bet.

I Love You Daddy,
Jeff

~ Jeff Lindigrin, Rockwall, Texas

Contact Me August 20, 2009

To all of Joe's friends and loved ones that have signed this book, our family is humbled and grateful. Joe was such a vibrant person that filled our lives with wisdom and joy . He was my life for almost 49 years and yes I spoiled him beyond anyone's comprehension.He has left such a hole in our lives that it can never be filled. He has also left us with such wonderful memories that we still can know what he would say or do when occasions arise. He is missed every day and sometimes the days are very long without him. I heard the angels sing when they came for him that morning so I know he is in heaven and telling his stories to all that will gather round. He must be making a lot of holes-in-one on the heavenly golf course! We will see him again one day and rejoice in the life we had on earth but we know our life in heaven will be the perfection of all our dreams. Until we meet again, my love.

~ Geraldine August 19, 2009

Dear Papaw,

Hi Papaw I still cry for you and I miss you. I miss playing the game where I pour the water on your head from the cup you gave me with the fish and water in it. You always made me laugh when we played that game and you were so funny.

Papw guess what? Daddy has been taking me to play golf with him. I can hit the golf ball really good and loud!

I just miss you so much snd I loveyou so much!

Daddy says you are in heaven with Jesus but I still miss you.

My 4th birthday is October 7th and I wish you can come to my birthday party.

Bye I love you,

MACK

~ Mackenzie "Mack" Lindigrin, Rockwall, Texas
Contact Me
 
August 04, 2009


To my dearest family, some things I'd like to say...
but first of all, to let you know, that I arrived okay.
I'm writing this from heaven. Here I dwell with God above.
Here, there's no more tears of sadness; here is just eternal love.

Please do not be unhappy just because I'm out of sight.
Remember that I'm with you every morning, noon and night.
That day I had to leave you when my life on earth was through,
God picked me up and hugged me and He said, "I welcome you."

It's good to have you back again; you were missed while you were gone.
As for your dearest family, they'll be here later on.
I need you here badly; you're part of my plan.
There's so much that we have to do, to help our mortal man.

God gave me a list of things, that he wished for me to do.
And foremost on the list, was to watch and care for you.
And when you lie in bed at night, the day's chores put to flight.
God and I are closest to you....in the middle of the night.

When you think of my life on earth, and all those loving years
because you are only human, they are bound to bring you tears.
But do not be afraid to cry; it does relieve the pain.
Remember there would be no flowers, unless there was some rain.

I wish that I could tell you all that God has planned.
But if I were to tell you, you wouldn't understand.
But one thing is for certain, though my life on earth is o'er.
I'm closer to you now, than I ever was before.

There are many rocky roads ahead of you and many hills to climb;
but together we can do it by taking one day at a time.
It was always my philosophy and I'd like it for you too...
that as you give unto the world, the world will give to you.

If you can help somebody who's in sorrow and pain,
then you can say to God at night......"My day was not in vain."
And now I am contented....that my life has been worthwhile,
knowing as I passed along the way, I made somebody smile.

So if you meet somebody who is sad and feeling low,
just lend a hand to pick him up, as on your way you go.
When you're walking down the street, and you've got me on your mind;
I'm walking in your footsteps only half a step behind.

And when it's time for you to go.... from that body to be free,
remember you're not going.....you're coming here to me.

Ruth Ann Mahaffey (author)
©Copyright 1998-2009
http://www.ruthann1.com/

~ sherry lindigrin, vicksburg, Mississippi
Contact Me January 06, 2009

Sherry,

I haven´t know the daughter of Joe Lindigrin very long since nov. -08 to be exact. I saw her great lost and her sadness when talking about her father. He must have been larger than life, a wonderful person just like you Sherry.

I´m so proud now on and forever to be a friend of Sherry.

Even though I´m far away.

Lot´s of love to Sherry and her family

~ Caroline Bengtsson, Ängelholm Sweden August 13, 2008

I have not had any contact with Joe since high school. He is remembered by me as he was then. I remember the enviable thick blond hair which he carefully combed in his own distinctive style. He always had an infectious mischievous grin and a wide affable smile with an easy going personality and a slow southern drawl and gait. What was not to like! Judy and I extend our deepest sympathy to his family.

~ Ed Habert, st. louis, Missouri
Contact Me August 11, 2008

Aunt Geraldine, Sherry, and Jeff, your husband/father took over a room as few were capable. His warmth for whom he loved was beyond measure. We are fortunate to have been part of his world. He will always be remembered, loved, and appreciated for many different memories. Love from our family to yours, David and Stacey Willoughby

~ Stacey Willoughby, Brandon, Mississippi
Contact Me August 04, 2008

Sherry, I love you and your family dearly. I'm so sorry. I think of your dad and can hear him laugh and see such a huge grin on his face. Hold on to all those precious memories. Just remember....he's finally free to run with the angels on streets made of gold. There are wonders that you've never known. You'll always remain in my thoughts and prayers. Love to you all.

~ Annett Autrey, Pearl, Mississippi
Contact Me Send Sympathy Flowers Now

August 03, 2008


Sherry, I am blessed to have been able to spend time with your dad over Memorial Day and your birthday family gathering. Your mom and dad have been like a second family for me. I will remember your Dad as a vibrant, passionate man who loved his life and his family. It makes me smile to remember him telling us how he tried to play our money in Vegas...he really wanted us to share his joys. He will surely be remembered. Your family will always be in my prayers.

Geraldine, My deepest sympathies for your loss. May you have peace, comfort and strength in this time.

~ Nelda Wolf, McKinney, Texas
Contact Me August 02, 2008

The Lindigrin Family ~ I have a blog as a gift to my classmates and posting pics of Joe, etc. He would have had his 50th class reunion next year. We will honor him and his life. Visit: http://marian-classof1959.blogspot.com/

~May God Bless Your Family~
~ Marian Love Phillips, Vicksburg, Mississippi
Contact Me August 01, 2008

Sherry, my deepest sympathi, I did not know your father, but I know you and I guess he was just like you ,a wonderful person. My thoughts will be with you. love Berit

~ Berit Thomasson, Helsingborg Sweden
Contact Me August 01, 2008

Sherry, I have prayed for you and your family. Thank you for letting me know about your loss. If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know. Your dad must have been really proud to have a daughter like you. In Christ, Don

~ Don Cox, Springfield, Missouri
Contact Me July 31, 2008

Sherry, I am still praying for you and your family. Although I didn't know your Dad, I know he must have been very special (along with your Mom) to raise such a sweet daughter as you. Keep in touch.

~ Lois Jacobs, Allen, Texas
Contact Me
 
July 31, 2008


Dear Geraldine, Sherry and family

Our deepest sympathy in your great loss.

"So he passed over, and all the trumpets sounden for him on the other side."
John Bunyan 1628-1688

Maria with family (Germany & Sweden)

~ Maria Simre Rohm, Germany July 26, 2008

Geraldine

Joe was special to me. I loved him. The big kalutz. He could throw the ball a mile. I believe he threw me about eight passes and seven went for touchdowns off reverses. He could shoot a basketball. He and Logue were about the only ones who could. And could he hit a golf ball. He tried to give me a few tips when I played with him against Hennessey and Witty at the last class reunion I was able to attend but to no avail. He was good enough that we still won without help from me. Enough, he was kind and a friend. I'm sorry I'm so late but Carol and I have been out of town for the last two weeks. I will pray for Joe and for you and the family. God keep you in his warm embrace and carry Joe directly into his bosom.

~ George Evans, Jackson, Mississippi
Contact Me July 20, 2008

Geraldine, Joe threw'em and I caught'em (sometimes). Will keep you and your family in our prayers.

~ Louis Logue, New Orleans, Louisiana
Contact Me July 20, 2008

Geraldine,

I was sadden to hear of Joe's passing. I was a classmate at SFXA graduating in 1959. I recently lost a son and know the pain and sorrow you are feeling. My deepest condolences to you and your family.

~ Marie Braun Yowan, Shelby Township, Michigan
Contact Me July 20, 2008

Geraldine and family,

May God bless you and your family in your time of sorrow.George and I are saddened by his death I will always remember his contagious smile and friendly words always present when we would see you occasionally. I also remember 50 years ago when we graduated from St. Al and St. Francis . He was a friend to all of us and always ready to help.

Our prayers are with you.
George and Vera Marshall Brown

~ Vera Brown, Vicksburg, Mississippi 
 
July 20, 2008


I was both surprised and saddended when Marian told me that Joe had passed away. I had not seen Joe since our days at St. Al, but I remember him as a talented and fun loving guy. My condolences to his family; may God receive his soul with joy.

~ Paul Booth, Madison, Mississippi
Contact Me July 19, 2008

~ Larry Miller, St. Louis
Contact Me July 14, 2008

Geraldine, I can not believe this about Joe. It seems like yesterday that we were working on EMS shirts, talking hunting and football, and getting golf tips from him. Like you, I consider him to be a wonderful friend that will be missed. Thinking of you, Wade

~ Wade spruill,jr., hattiesburg, Mississippi July 14, 2008

Dear Geraldine & Family --What a loss! Joe made work fun -- if he didn't have a big grin on his face, he meant to not have a big grin on his handsome face; most of the time, he was only kidding! My prayers for God's merciful help for you through this process will continue as I myself thank God that I had the pleasure of knowing you both. May God's peace comfort you, with joy!

~ NancyKay Sullivan Wessman, Jackson, Mississippi July 10, 2008

I am so saddened to hear of Joe's death. I will never forget his kindness,generosity and wide smile. Mississippi State lost one of its' biggest fans. My prayers are with Geraldine.

~ Tim Clarke, Tampa, Florida 
 
July 10, 2008


Dearest Geraldine. it has been a long time since I've seen you but I remember how much in love you were with this big guy. I know you are hurting right now and I hope God will comfort you and that you will receive solice from these wonderful messages from the many people Joe's life touched. Please know you are in our thoughts and prayers. Anne and Jody McWilliams, Richmond, Va.

~ Anne Crockett McWilliams, Richmond, Virginia
Contact Me July 08, 2008

Geraldine and Family: Our deepest sympathy in your great loss. We were out of town and are sorry that we didn't get to the funeral home. Please remember us to John and Lynda as well.

Marie and Louis Renaud

~ Marie Menger Renaud, Vicksburg, Mississippi July 08, 2008

Geraldine, I was so sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers are with you and your family for I know this will be a big adjustment to you all!

With Christ's love, Libba Johnson

~ Elizabeth JOHNSON, Jackson, Mississippi
Contact Me July 07, 2008

Very sorry to hear of your loss. Joe will certainly be missed by all who knew him.

Tommy Guilbert

CCHS 1958

~ Tommy Guilbert, Richardson, Texas
Contact Me July 07, 2008

Geraldine and Family,

We at Beech Chitta Hunting Club was sadden to hear about the passing of Joe. Although, we only knew "Big Joe" as he was known to us, for a very short time, he was our friend and hunting buddy. Whenever Joe came over to the club he always had a story to tell but, most of all he loved to talk about his Family, Friends and his Mississippi State Bulldogs. We will always cherish the memories and the time spent with Big Joe. Again we are sorry for your loss.

~ Wade McCulloch, Ackerman, Mississippi
Contact Me  
 
July 07, 2008


Geraldine and family,

I was so sad to hear of Joe's passing. He was such a great and loving friend and boss. I'll never forget the 4 years I worked for you two. I loved him as if he was my own family. I'm so sorry. My prayers are with you during this difficult time.

~ Cori Wilson (Brown), Granbury, Texas
Contact Me July 07, 2008

My thoughts and prayers are with you in your time of grief. May your memories bring you comfort.

~ Angie Manning Wilson, Madison, Mississippi July 07, 2008

I haven't seen you or Joein many years, but was surprised to hear of his passing. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

~ Phillip Doiron, Weaver, Alabama
Contact Me July 07, 2008

~ Phillip Doiron, Weaver, Alabama
Contact Me July 07, 2008

I AM SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS. I ALWAYS THOUGHT OF JOE AS A SPECIAL PERSON. HIS MATURITY AND KINDNESS WERE BROUGHT HOME TO ME WHEN I WAS IN A GROUP WITH HIM AND SOME OTHERS AT A REUNION AND HE APOLOGIZED TO AN OLD GIRLFRIEND FOR SOMETHING HE HAD DONE. I WAS VERY MOVED BY SUCH HUMBLE REGARD FOR ANOTHER PERSON AND AN ACCEPTANCE OF HIS SHORTCOMINGS. MY SISTER WAS IN THE CLASS WITH HIS SISTER LYDNA. I SEND SYMPATHIES TO HER AND HER HUSBAND BILLY ALSO. THE BRIGHT LIGHT OF JOE AND HIS SMILE WILL BE MISSED ON THE PLANET.

~ VERA FRANCO DAHM, PHD, DAYTON, Ohio 
 
July 07, 2008


I have not had the opportunity to see or talk to Joe for many years, yet I miss him all the same. My thoughts and sympathies are with his loved ones. Soon enough, I pray that we will all be together in the fellowship that never ends.

~ Walter Little, Birmingham, Alabama July 06, 2008

Geraldine and Family,

Our hearts and prayers go out to you and your family at this most difficult time.

I have always considered Joe one of my best friends even though we haven't see much of each other in recent years. I will really miss his smile and sense of humor.

Mona and I were surprised to read that you and Joe had moved to Rockwall. We moved to Arlington in Sept. 2006.

~ Jimmy and Mona Cathey, Arlington, Texas
Contact Me July 06, 2008

Geraldine

I often ran into you and Joe around Jackson. This news of Joe leaving us was a big surprise and shock to Dot and I. I know you will miss him greatly. He always seemed to be such a healthy guy. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family during these times and in the future.

~ Ivan Cunningham, Jackson, Mississippi
Contact Me July 06, 2008

~ Leland Ferguson, Tyler, Texas July 06, 2008

Geraldine and Family:

Deeply saddened to hear about Joe's untimely passing. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Charles & Carol Lagg Guion

~ Charles & Carol Guion, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact Me  
July 06, 2008


Our prayers and sympathy to you in your loss.

Ann and Tommy Jackson

~ Ann Hardin Jackson, Brandon July 06, 2008

For a number of years, JOE and I were neighbors on Porters Chapel Road...he was a great guy who I will always remember.

~ RONALD Foley, Fountainville, Pennsylvania July 06, 2008

Dearest Geraldine, we were shocked to hear of Joe's death. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family in the loss of Joe. Much love, Bobbie and "Doc" Halliday

~ Bobbie Halliday, Plainfield, Massachusetts
Contact Me July 06, 2008

I remember Joe as a friend to my older sister, Kay, and my brother, Buddy. When telling stories of the fun times in Vicksburg in the 50's, Joe's name is always mentioned so fondly. I do know he was considered to be so sweet and cute and even as a little girl, I recognized how nice he was to children my age.

~ Libby Hess, Denver, Colorado
Contact Me July 06, 2008

I haven't seen Joe in many, many years. From our days at St. Aloysius to Hinds Jr. College to MSU, I'll always remember Joe's smile and his very friendly personality. I know you all, his family, will miss him greatly. You can be assured he's smiling down on all of you from a better place. God bless you all and we hope you can remember all the good times in the celebration of his life.

~ Danny Hossley, Hideaway, Texas
Contact Me
 
July 06, 2008


Dear Geraldine, I waqs deeply saddened to learn of Joe's passing. We go back a long ways as you know and have been friends for over 50 years. We shared many memories at St. Al on the football field, basketball court and on the baseball field. Joe and I shared many good times and he will be missed not only by his family but by his many friends. You and your family are in my prayers.

~ Robert Witty, Palm Coast, Florida
Contact Me July 05, 2008

Geraldine- We can't express in words how much sympathy we feel for you and your family. Joe was a wonderful friend and we will miss him dearly. Our prayers are with you and the entire family.

Love,

Jack & Barbara Thompson

~ Jack Thompson, Rockwall, Texas July 05, 2008

I'm very saddened to learn of Joe's untimely passing and my prayers are with him and his family. Joe and my brother were classmates, and I had the good fortune to be a member of St. Al's undefeated football team when Joe was a senior and I was a freshman. Joe played tailback to perfection, and wasn't referred to as "Golden Arm" for nothing. As well as I recall, he didn’t throw a single interception his senior year. His hard work and dedication were an inspiration to all.

~ Philip Little July 05, 2008

Through and after high school at St. Al, Joe was a friend with whom I enjoyed playing football where he was quite a good passer. In high school he even set me up with my first blind date. I regret that I lost touch with him over the years. My sympathies and best wishes to all of Joe's family.

~ Pat Downey, Pearl River, Louisiana
Contact Me July 05, 2008

Joe was a good friend at St. Aloysuis.

My prayers are with his wife Geraldine and his family.

With Empathy,

~ Gordon Sutton, Petersburg, Virginia
Contact Me
 
July 05, 2008


So sadden to hear about Joe's passing away. He was a classmate of mine graduating in the Class of 1959 from SFXA. May God Bless you and your family and give you strength in this time of sorrow.

~ Marian Love Phillips, Vicksburg, Mississippi
Contact Me July 05, 2008

Dear Geraldine

I don't know if you remember me. I am AnnFreutel Gilman and I lived next door to you on Cherry Street. I remember you and Joe dating in high school. Y'all would sit on your stoop after school. I am living in Irvine Ca. for the past 30 years. My husband , Bruce was a Captain with American Airlines and I fly for Alaska Airlines. So Sorry to hear of your loss. Our condolences to you and your family. Ann & Kay Freuter.

~ Ann Gilman, Irvine, California
Contact Me July 05, 2008

Geraldine, My heart aches for you. God is with you right now. Lean on Him.

~ Carolyn Strassheim, Cocoa, Florida July 05, 2008

Sherry, You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. His Life My Life Sunday school class has you all covered in prayer as well. Love you from John and Barbara and His Life My Life.

~ Barbara Newman, Wylie, Texas

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marion, thank you for this site. since my dad's passing I often visit it to look around. I grew up listening to my dad's stories of his high school days. We really miss him.

Jeff Lindigrin

Marian Ann Love said...

You and your family are so welcome. If you leave your email I would like to send you a copy of the booklet I made for all our classmates. I sent one to a family member of yours but cannot recall who it was. If you would like a copy let me know at mariandeerhunter@bellsouth.net
Thanks Jeff!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...