Class of 1959

We, the Class of 1959, celebrated our 50th reunion on April 24 and 25, 2009. This blog is about sharing memories of our class reunions and a long-ago life at our Alma Mater, S.F.X.A. and S.A.H.S. Good memories of days gone by but not forgotten! A gift to my classmates. ~Marian Ann Love ~







Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Tale of a Kite

One bright morning Kay and I went to a kite flying contest, held by the C.Y.O. It was held on a high hill which caught the breeze just right. There were a lot of people there. I heard names like Delia, Joe, Carol, Roy, Bobby, Shirley, and Pam! Kay then attempted to fly me, but I was so interested in all the people and my surroundings, that I'd fly a few feet up and then I'd come down. They say curiosity killed the cat. It's a wonder that it didn't tear me up. Kay finally got the help of some insect named mo-skeeter and he decided to give the girl a break. I calmly glided up. But as much as I like to fly, my curiosity got the better of me and down I came again. It was really pitiful to see how hard Kay was trying to keep me up. But I have a will of my own. Just as I touched the ground, I saw a boy in brown pants, a red and blue checked shirt, and red curls lass by a group of Freshmen, who turned a funny color. I won't mention any names. All of a sudden someone screamed, "String," You see, this was a race and it seemed to be close between Mary and Betty Rose on one kite, and Perry Hale on another. In the process of adding more string to me, I accidentally got away from Kay and that nice boy Joe Loviza caught me. (Thanks Joe) I really just wanted to give Kay a scare. Then the news came. Mary and Rose had won. Of course everyone was happy. Even Perry took it like a MAN. The Freshmen thought that they needed some exercise, so Jackie, Theresa, Kay, Myrtle, Ina, Marlene, and Vera went for a walk. They came upon an old shack that some people believed was haunted. Ina then got them into a frightened mood by relating the of the story of the black woman who had once lived there and what had finally happened to her. Jackie and Kay were the first to enter the old house. The place was very weird with cobwebs hanging from the ceiling, broken furniture strewn about, and a terrible musty odor. With the tale of the poor woman still fresh in their minds they walked into another room. Out of nowhere jumped two characters who scared them to death. After they had gathered their wits together, they realized that it was only George and Wayne, two of the boys. After exploring the house everyone decided that it was getting late, and that they must go home. All this time I was tied to an old cannon! Imagine the nerve of that old girl. So when she came back, after having all the fun, to untie me, I gave the string to good tug and off I sailed into the wide, blue, yonder. After I had done it, I was sorry, but it was too late then, and beside that, she probably would never have flown me again. In my haste to get away, she caught my tail and held fast, so I had to leave it behind. Kay and Jackie both trudged home, each with the happy memories of that day of kite flying. And among Kay's keepsakes, if you should chance to look, you would find the Tail of a kite. Written by Kay Hess (Taken from 1956 Maryon)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...