In 1879, the Brothers of the Sacred Heart came to Vicksburg to establish a school for boys. Dedicated to St. Aloysius, it offered elementary and secondary education and had a strong emphasis on business. Many of the city's older businessmen give St. Aloysius credit for providing them the foundation for a successful career.
After St. Aloysius College, as it was originally called, was established, St. Francis served as an elementary and high school for girls, enrolling boys only in kindergarten through second grade, until 1968, when the Brothers relinquished the administration of their school. Starting with the 1968-69 school year boys and girls attended grade school at St. Francis and high school at St. Aloysius.
The education provided by the Sisters has been valued since the very beginning, and generations of Vicksburgers, regardless of creed, have sent their children to "the Sisters' school."
Publication of this leaflet is financially assisted by the National Endowment for the Humanities through the Mississippi Committee for the Humanities.