In July 1878, the city of Vicksburg was quarantined in an effort to stem the side of an onslaught of yellow fever which was sweeping the South, but by August the disease was declared an epidemic In Vicksburg.
Once again the Sisters of Mercy answered the call, and three moved into the City Hospital. Assisted by others who commuted from the convent, they nursed as many as three hundred patients a day, and four surrendered their lives.
For 27 years thereafter, the Sisters were active in nursing at the City Hospital, until it was rechartered as the Kuhn Memorial State Hospital in 1905. They also served during the Yellow Fever epidemic of 1897 and the influenza epidemic of 1918. (To be continued)