St. Francis School continued to grow; the auditorium was built in 1885, and ever since has been the site of academic, musical, artistic, and dramatic exhibitions demonstrating the accomplishments of the school's students.
For a time several buildings across Crawford Street, including the Pemberton Headquarters and the Balfour House, were used to house boarding students. In 1937, the building at the corner of Clay and Cherry Streets was constructed. The last building in the complex, the O'Beirne Gymnasium, was completed in 1953. That same year saw St. Paul's church destroyed by a tornado, and the gymnasium pressed into service as a temporary house of worship for the parish. (To be continued)