Class of 1959

We, the Class of 1959, celebrated our 50th class reunion on April 24 and 25, 2009. This blog is about sharing memories of our class reunions and a long ago life at our Alma Mater's, S.F.X.A. and S.A.H.S. Good memories of days gone by but not forgotten! A gift to my classmates. ~Marian Love Phillips ~

Saturday, March 08, 2008

SFXA Class of 1959~Ina

~Ina Carol Lott~

After graduating from S.F.X.A., I attended Hinds Jr. College and later worked in the business office at the Vicksburg Hospital and Clinic. I also worked at the First National Bank downtown Vicksburg in bookkeeping. I later went to work as a bookkeeper for Hydratane Gas Company and that is where I met my husband, Floyd. He was later transferred to Mendenhall after we got married. Later, we moved to Jackson, MS and we worked there at Jackson Hydratane for two years and our first child, Rhonda was born. Floyd was then transferred to Natchez, MS, and we lived there for six years and our son, David, was born. We moved back to Vicksburg and Rhonda and David both attended St. Francis and St. Aloysius High Schools. Rhonda (1990) and David (1997) graduated with degrees from the University of Southern MS. While in Vicksburg, Floyd and I opened a flower shop called it The Green Thumb on Washington Street and was there for 13 years. We purchased the old Kentucky Fried Chicken building on Washington Street and had for a short time a catering business there. We decided to turned it into a restaurant called, The Hut. For a while we operated The Green Thumb in a building in back of The Hut. We were there for 23 years and closed it up about three years ago because of health issues of my husband and myself. Our daughter, Rhonda, works at AT&T and has a daughter, Katherine, who is 12 years old. Our son, David, is married and has two step-daughters, Jessica and Shelbi. David has worked for Rainbow Casino for eight years and is now the Manager of Food, Deli and Beverage.

I have a lot of fond memories of school and my classmates. A couple that stand out for me was when Sister Mary Callista, Principal, said to me one day…I got sent to detention more than anyone in school for talking in the halls. I was sent to detention at least three or four times a day. Two days before we were to graduate, Sister Mary Grace, our new principal, called me over the intercom to come to the office and Sister Callista, who was in town visiting from Washington D.C, handed me a great big box all wrapped in silver, blue and white paper with a big blue bow. She said to open it and read the inscription. In it was a big leather Webster Dictionary. It read…To Ina, who wrote more dictionaries than Webster every dreamed of!

Left to right: My husband, Floyd, daughter, Rhonda, son, David and Katherine, my granddaughter and myself.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...