Class of 1959

We, the Class of 1959, celebrated our 50th reunion on April 24 and 25, 2009. This blog is about sharing memories of our class reunions and a long-ago life at our Alma Mater, S.F.X.A. and S.A.H.S. Good memories of days gone by but not forgotten! A gift to my classmates. ~Marian Ann Love ~







Tuesday, March 25, 2008

SAXA Class of 1959~Marlene

~Catherine Marlene Wilson~
After graduating from SFXA, I attended Siena College in Memphis, TN, 1959-1960 before going to the University of Mississippi where I received aBAE in 1963. After graduation I taught 4th grade at Bowmar Avenue in Vicksburg for one year, 1963-1964.

In 1964 I married Sam Langston, Jr., and moved to Cleveland, MS, where I continued teaching for a short time before joining my husband in his insurance agency. We worked in Langston Insurance Agency & R/E for the next 20 years. We had three children, Lacy (now 42, Architecture/Stay at homemom, married to Kosie Mentz, Boise, ID), Sam III (now 39, President, Langston & Assoc. Comm'l Real Estate Appraisals, married to Annie Thompson, Boise, ID) and Wilson (now 35, Vice President, Nationwide Insurance Agency, single parent, Germantown, TN).

In 1985 my husband Sam died and I continued in the insurance agency for a number of years before merging the business with another agency in Cleveland where I continued to work until retiring in 2000.

In 1990 I married Everett E. (Butch) Caston, Dean of Education at Delta State University. Butch had 2 children, Wade (now 36, Vice President, FocusTemp. Service, Atlanta, GA) and Kellie (now 40, Pharmacist, Ocean Springs, MS). All of a sudden we had a family of 5 children all so near in age that we had 5 in college at one time. Butch retired in 2001.

We now have 12 grandchildren ranging in age from 10 months to 10 years: Jake (5) and Catherine (3) Mentz (Lacy's), Mary Agnes (10), Matthew (7), Caston (5) and Nora (10 months) Mestayer (Kellie's), Maddie (11), Caton (9) and Finn (5) Langston (Sam's), Ella (5), Sam (3) and Rivers (3) Langston, twins(Wilson's).

Besides spending time with our grandchildren, Butch and I enjoy our two Tennessee Walking horses and lab, Luke. We have a barn in Cleveland where we spend a lot of time and in the summer we trailer the horses along with our lab and sometimes a grandchild, out to our small ranch in New Meadows, Idaho. Two of our children live in Idaho, Sam & Lacy, so we have a chance to visit with them and 5 of our grandchildren. In the summer while in Idaho, we enjoy hiking, fishing, canoeing and riding our horses in the backcountry. During the winter Butch does a lot of hunting in both Idaho and Mississippi and in fact shot a trophy elk this past fall, which has been the highlight of his year. I love snow skiing with our Idaho children and grandchildren and manage at least one or two ski trips out each winter.

I do appreciate my Catholic education and the many things I learned during my years at SFXA, academics as well as religious and character values. It is hard to single one teacher as my favorite, there were many. I remember Sister Josepha from 3rd grade and how much fun she was on the playground playing softball. I always remember how the front of her habit would fly up when she hit the ball and ran to bases. She seemed to have more fun than we did. Sister Mary John in the 8th grade was special and always had a project going. I remember those butterflies we made with all the sequins for our 8th grade graduation. I'm sorry I gave Sister Mary Grace such a hard time. She was convinced that Ole Miss was an evil place and I was doomed if I went there. I guess I took her seriously for a least one year, attending Siena College in Memphis before heading to Ole Miss. Sister Cecelia who so patiently listened each week during my piano lesson, knowing full well thatI hadn't touched the piano since my last lesson. Sister Elise's Algebra class, which I loved. Sister Rita never seemed to quite get a handle on our class but we all loved her. Coach Swett and those laps around the gym singing the latest top chart hit-we were so cool!

And how can we forget "The Bunch" I can't remember exactly how many years that lasted, Ina was always documenting everything in her long and intricately folded, decorated notes, I'm sure she could give us a complete history. I remember Vera and her spelling talent. She could spell anything! Marian was so quiet and always greeted you with a smile. Myrtle and herl ong braids and happy personality. Katherine "Speedy" Myers could hit a basket from anywhere. Theresa our class beauty, "A" student and good friend. I miss Lynn Stegall-wasn't she a character! I could go on and on. I think our class was special and I regret not keeping up with everyone a little better. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the class reunion and hope that all our classmates will be able to attend.

Butch and Marlene

2008 Summer Arts ~ Ft. Morgan

Butch and Marlene's children.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...