Class of 1959

We, the Class of 1959, celebrated our 50th reunion on April 24 and 25, 2009. This blog is about sharing memories of our class reunions and a long-ago life at our Alma Mater, S.F.X.A. and S.A.H.S. Good memories of days gone by but not forgotten! A gift to my classmates. ~Marian Ann Love ~







Friday, April 11, 2008

SAHS Class of 1959~Gordon

~Gordon Campbell Sutton, Jr.~
Gordon and Janet Sutton posing with their Border Collies, Big Dog and Dazy.

Autobiography
I graduated from Mississippi State University in 1963. Sylvia Hughes and I were married that year and blessed with three children: John Michael, John Christopher, and James Allen. We were divorced in 1968 most due to my imperfections.
For the next 20 years, I wandered aimlessly trying to find meaning by catering to my ego and pursuing material and sensual pleasures. I received a few titles and honors but nothing of lasting importance. By the grace of God, I was lead back to the values and morals instilled in me at St. Aloysius and reluctantly started the reformation of my life.
I met my wife Janet Scudder Sutton in May 1991 and we were married in 2001 on the anniversary of our first date. We have continued to grow together in love and spiritual oneness. I am now retired and spending my time with Janet and in meditation, spiritual reading and maintaining our home.
St. Aloysius
I am grateful for being at St. Aloysius for I believe the 19 of us gathered together, perhaps reluctantly, to become a family with all of a family’s quirks and foibles. We are fortunate to be under the watchful and loving care of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart. They gave us a formation that is the underpinning of our lives whether we realize, accept, or reject it. Each of us tested, challenged, and strengthened the others. How we responded to this is our own life story.
My most admired teacher was Brother Casmir who, regardless of the disrespect and abuse he experienced at our hands, continued to love, respect and teach us.
My most loved teacher was Brother Farrell who was a loving, gentle man who was never afraid to exhibit his love for God to me in many ways.
My favorite moment was being able to serve as an acolyte at a Christmas midnight mass although I was not an altar boy. Brother Anselm chastised for this act, but I still remember the wonder and splendor of those two hours.
My worst experiences were the ridicule and cruelty innocently inflicted upon me because I could not speak clearly and was extremely shy.
My greatest personal disappointment was lacking the faith and fortitude to pursue my dream of becoming a Brother of the Sacred Heart.
My favorite St. Francis memory was having the unexpected honor of taking Marie Braun Yowan to the Senior Prom.
Web Site: http://www.unicowfarm.com/
Gordon and his wife resides in Petersburg, VA. E-mail: gordonsutton@hotmail.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...