Class of 1959

We, the Class of 1959, celebrated our 50th reunion on April 24 and 25, 2009. This blog is about sharing memories of our class reunions and a long-ago life at our Alma Mater, S.F.X.A. and S.A.H.S. Good memories of days gone by but not forgotten! A gift to my classmates. ~Marian Ann Love ~







Thursday, April 17, 2008

50th Class Reunion ~ Glenda

~1958~
Glenda Katherine Betts
After graduation Glenda attended college a Loyola University in New Orleans, LA. She married Victor LaGarde and with that union had six children and their names are Justin, Owen, Victor (deceased), Emile, Clare, and Glynnis.
I have two grandchildren, Justin' s children, whose names are Jeanne and Henry. Over the years I have worked for St. Mary's Academy, South Bend, IN; St. Francis Xavier Elementary; Hinds Community College; as Director the Southern Cultural Heritage Center (former St. Francis); and I'm still working at Hinds Community College teaching English Composition, American, British, and World Literatures. What I enjoy besides teaching is singing in the Mississippi Chorus and the Vicksburg Chamber Choir, gardening and painting. My favorite teacher was Sister Mary Rita Davidson because she was so witty, well-read, kind, and lively. She inspired me to be what she advised I should avoid (too little pay, she said) an English teacher! Some of my favorite school memories are Friday night football at St. Al's, dances at the schools, the nuns measuring the skirt length of our cheer leading skirts, having a great old school with so many interesting alleys, a super-high "sliding board" and gigantic merry-go-round, and a great auditorium for plays, performances and dancing on rainy days, lots of singing and graduation in church. A few things about me and my life are -- having enjoyed living in South Bend, ID and Boston, MA with the snow and wonderful colors in the fall. I enjoyed returning home and sending my kids through St. Francis and St. Aloysius. I've enjoyed seeing some classmates and their families here, and catching up with others at class reunions. I've been glad to have a small part in seeing some of the history, buildings and achievements of the schools, their teachers and students, made known to Mississippians and to folks from all over who visit the former St. Francis Xavier Academy. Glenda and Vic resides in Vicksburg, MS. E-mail: gblagarde@hindscc.edu

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...